Click on 'Apply Now' to submit your application for this position.
Sr. Network Engineer
05 - 07 years
Sole US Citizenship
MD - Germantown
We are seeking a results-oriented, self-motivated network engineer who will be responsible for securing and maintaining an enterprise-class Cisco-powered voice/video/data network that supports more than 10,000 users. Primary duties for this position include deploying and providing ongoing support for Cisco routers and switches, to include tier-2/3 troubleshooting as needed, developing and updating standard operating procedures for network provisioning and maintenance tasks, and this individual must be available on-call to restore service in the event of an unplanned outage. This individual will provide technical assistance and mentoring to junior staff on the network operations team, and contribute as a lead technical resource on network implementation projects.
This position is responsible for the operation and maintenance of several hundred Cisco devices and must ensure each change to the environment is clearly documented, to include creating and updating all related engineering documents, drawings, and IP addressing assignments.
- The ideal candidate will have recent experience in an enterprise or service provider environment deploying, troubleshooting, and documenting LAN and campus networks using Cisco network devices (Catalyst 3560/3750/3850/6500, Nexus switches, Cisco ISR & ASR-series routers) and infrastructure applications such as Cisco Prime and Cisco ISE.
- Must have 5+ years experience supporting Gigabit Ethernet switched LAN networks with a working knowledge of Spanning Tree Protocol (STP), VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP), 802.1q Trunking, 802.3ad LACP, Etherchannel, and 802.1x-based Network Access Control (NAC).
- This position provides Tier-2 and Tier-3 network support in response to trouble ticket queues, where immediate response is required to resolve customer-reported network problems. The candidate must be capable of coordinating multiple open issues and interfacing with customers at all levels.
- The candidate must excel in high-paced, demanding environments where each day provides a new set of challenges under short time constraints involving complex network configurations and/or troubleshooting multiple hosts scattered across a large campus network.
- Develop and apply standard configuration templates to all assigned devices and update inventory and topology records during moves, adds, and changes.
- Proactively check network devices for error conditions and perform preventative maintenance.
- Demonstrate an expert understanding of Cisco IOS 12.x/15.x command syntax.
- Must have an expert understanding of the TCP/IP stack and previous experience supporting heterogeneous LAN, WAN, and wireless networks. Understand common user applications and related protocols (e.g. HTTP/HTTPS, CIFS, LDAP, DNS, DHCP, NTP, FTP, SMTP).
- Possess excellent problem solving skills and a solid understanding of how to quickly troubleshoot connectivity and performance issues that involve switches, routers, desktops, printers, and servers.
- Must have proficiency with Linux command line utilities and familiarity with Perl or shell scripting languages to automate configuration changes, parsing log data from switches and routers, generating reports, detecting network traffic anomalies, etc.
- Experience configuring BGP and EIGRP with both VRF-Lite and MPLS is a plus.
- System administrator experience with Linux, VMware, Nagios, and/or SolarWinds products is a plus.
In addition to the successful candidate’s primary focus responding to trouble tickets and maintaining Cisco network devices, this position will be called upon for the following requirements and additional duties:
- Operating in a remotely administered lights-out environment where equipment is deployed pre-configured and out-of-band access via modem and serial consoles is used when necessary during circuit problem determination.
- Develop documentation to improve current network operating procedures. Draft configuration change control proposals for submission to the CCB. Create and update topology diagrams and associated documentation for each office location and network enclave.
- Collect and review packet captures using Wireshark, Ethereal, tcpdump or equivalent decoding tools.
- Review log events and operate network management applications to perform fault detection, identify performance metrics, and generate reports to support specific service level requirements.
- Install and operate open source software to perform network performance testing and monitoring.
- Must be flexible and able to work nights, weekends and holidays as needed to support planned and unplanned network maintenance and troubleshooting events. The successful candidate is expected to be available on-call 24x7. Upon hire, the individual will be issued an iPhone and VPN access to allow rapid response to network events whenever the network operations center escalates a problem requiring Tier-3 support. Ability to travel as needed, primarily within the local metro area. Short trips to customer sites within CONUS may be required a few times per year.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate self-initiative and be able to operate without supervision. Must have strong time management, multi-tasking, organization and administrative skills and must be highly proficient with Visio, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- As part of the selection process, the candidate must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, with fluency in English equivalent to a native speaker.
- Past employment supporting the U.S. Federal government and/or military experience is a plus.
- Must be able to obtain a U.S. government security clearance.
Cisco IOS Routers, Nexus Switches, Cisco ISE, NAC, 802.1x, Prime, Red Hat Linux, Perl, Visio, Infoblox
TCP/IP, VRF, EIGRP, BGP, MPLS, Ethernet, DS-3, T-3, OC-3, OC-12
The successful candidate will work in an IT data center (raised-floor) environment and be able to lift up to 50 pounds. Dress code is business casual.
ActioNet has a mentor program designed to get you up to speed in your new job quickly...helping you succeed and grow with the company.
ActioNet Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.