Click on 'Apply Now' to submit your application for this position.
Program/IT Operations Manager
10 + years
DC - Washington
This position is located at the Department of Transportation (DOT) in the District of Columbia in direct support of the Department of Transportation’s Common Operating Environment (DOT-COE) Contract for IT Shared Services (ITSS). ITSS supports an IT infrastructure comprised of over 800 servers located at two geographically disperse data centers (including virtual machines and cloud computing), approximately 12,000 end user devices, and a customer base of over 9,000 end-users located at DOT headquarters and several field sites throughout the United States.
The Information Technology (IT) Operations Manager reports to the Contract Program Manager and is directly responsible for the management of the operations contract staff which includes the Service Desk (Tier I), Tier 2 Service Support and Service Delivery, Asset Management, Change and Release Management, Storage, Network, and Server Teams (Tier III), and Incident Management (Cyber Security). The incumbent is responsible to coordinate team activities (both technical and administrative), ensure proper scheduling of maintenance and other required actions, provide timely and accurate communications regarding issues in the environment impacting service availability, and to provide daily direction to the operations contract staff to ensure continuity of services and customer support that exceeds expectations.
In addition, the incumbent serves in a vital role as liaison with federal leads assigned to manage the task orders that fall under the purview of the operations section. The incumbent is the primary point of contact to address operational issues or concerns expressed by the federal task managers and is responsible to provide status updates and problem resolution in a timely manner. Specific Responsibilities include:
- Having prior experience working in a fast-paced IT operational shared service environment where service delivery skills are critical
- Managing the daily operations of the technology infrastructure and associated systems
- Experience effectively managing upwards of 100+ IT professionals
- Ability to capture requirements and lead teams in fulfilling requirements
- Managing Tier’s I, II, & III support staff, asset management, change and release management, and their associated processes
- Working closely and collaboratively with the contract operations staff leads and appropriate federal task managers to ensure a well-coordinated delivery of IT services to internal and external customers
- Working closely with the Architecture/Project team to oversee all project work undertaken by the operations team and closely coordinating with the designated federal lead for operations to formulate a long-term IT strategy
- Daily operations scheduling, personnel management, and participation in strategic planning
- Collaborating with federal task managers to ensure established goals are achieved as expected
- Providing proper advice and guidance to the federal staff and ensuring operational task leads are given adequate information to make informed decisions
- Obtaining appropriate levels of approvals to make changes or adjustments in the IT environment prior to implementation
- Ensuring required communications are accurately prepared, reviewed, and distributed for all events requiring such communications within expected timelines
- Briefing the Associate Chief Information Officer, or their designee, and their assigned federal managers regarding operational issues on a daily basis\
- Providing support and guidance to technical staff, managerial support, and daily direction to all assigned technical leads
- Ensuring the technical staff stays abreast of emerging technologies and makes appropriate recommendations to the federal customer regarding their applicability and implementation
- Maintaining vendor relationships with key service providers that support and provide technology for the end user computing environments
- Ensuring optimal operation of all client devices and end user computing environments, hardware, peripherals, operating systems and user applications through the management of the IT technical staff
- Ensuring optimal customer service and support at Tiers I, II, and III
- Informing the Contract Program Manager of all issues that have the potential to impact the overall performance of the contract and providing updates on recommendations, status, and resolutions implemented
- Achieving IT operational objectives by maintaining the current system; evaluating, recommending, testing and installing new technology; contributing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolving problems; completing Quality Assurance audits; determining system improvements; and implementing change
- Improving quality results by evaluating and upgrading processes; directing changes
- Updating job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations
- Knowledge of Network Maintenance, Network Design and Implementation, System Administration, Operating Systems, Network Hardware Configuration
- Skill in building work relationships, resolving conflict, project management, and promoting process improvement
- Excellent leadership, organizational, administrative, interpersonal, and oral and written communications skills with special attention to detail
- Ability to independently define and manage large workloads and organize work efficiently
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks on short notice within established deadlines
- Ability and willingness to work with and/or lead teams; and capacity for problem-solving
- Basic understanding of systems management including Microsoft desktop and network operating systems, Mobile Device Management, virtualization technologies, networking equipment, Dell hardware, remote access solutions, etc.
- Basic concepts related to the provision of IT customer service support through Tier I and Tier II
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Management related discipline
-7-10 years of personnel management experience of several teams ranging from 75 to 150 people total - Current environment consists of more than 10 teams ranging from 3 people to 25 people (total of 140) across all Tiers of IT, Asset Management, Configuration Management and Testing, & Customer Service Advocacy
- Relative experience running multiple teams across many IT disciplines in a similar sized environment. Must show experience successfully leading teams to work with each other (outside of silos)
- At least 5 years working in the federal sector with federal customers. There are approximately 10 Federal Managers that this position will deal with daily
- Strong proactive communication and organizational skills
- Stellar Customer Service Skills
- Documented Leadership skills, technology savvy, excellent customer service skills, and interpersonal and communication skills
- Master's degree in Computer Science is considered an enhancement to the candidate’s application, although not a requirement.
- Applicable certifications in Information Technology and/or Management (Microsoft, ITIL, PMP)
ActioNet has a mentor program designed to get you up to speed in your new job quickly...helping you succeed and grow with the company.
ActioNet Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.